Friday, February 1, 2013

What Can I Say?

NaBloPoMo February 2013
That's "National Blog Posting Month" for those of you not in the know (also me as of a month ago). Don't worry, we'll keep this one PG, because really, the first is so personal and the second so intimate (in my experience!) that I doubt any of you (Hi, Mom) want to know too much. Ignorance is bliss, my friends.

So in addition to everyday updates like what Ripley's gotten herself into or what we're cookin', I'll be posting everyday about love. And sex. But mostly the first one. And probably not the second. (Can you see how red I'm getting?). Let's just get started.

When was the last time you said, "I love you."?

I say this ALL THE TIME. I can't even stress to you how often I say this to my husband. And I mean it, too. 

In my relationship with my Mr. E, "I love you" is the concise way of saying, "You make me happy. Here, in this moment, I am at peace. I am focused on you, and only you and I enjoy that. I want you to know that I appreciate you, your presence and your attitude with me. You have made me content."

Gooey? Sure. But my husband needs the affirmation just as I need to let him know how I feel. It's involuntary- but not in that word vomit way, more like I don't know how else to tell you how I feel at this moment. And the best part? He always understands. I can almost see our relationship grow stronger- deeper- when we say this to each other.

I always felt so silly saying "I love you" before. It's powerful. It's heavy. I would throw it around because it made me feel so mature, like it somehow validated my relationship. Words are mightier than the sword indeed, when I could convince myself of the seriousness of my previous relationships with that phrase. I would say it at the end of all my phone conversations, in the stillness at the end of a movie or when reaching for a hand to hold. I couldn't keep it in! I had all of this emotion that I didn't know what to do with, looking for an outlet or release. 

But as much as I learned from my previous relationships, they were nothing compared to the depth of feeling I have for Mr. E. He's my partner, my companion, and my best friend. We knew it so quickly it scared the crap out of us, but we perservered and I couldn't be happier. "I love you" is just another way to acknowledge the distance we spanned, both geographically and emotionally, to be together.

When do I say "I love you"? 
When I leave to go to work. 
When I come home.
At the end of phone conversations.
Randomly texted in the middle of the day.
Left on notes scattered around the house.
Before I go to bed.
As often as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E