Friday, February 15, 2013

Les Miserables

I think Mr. E was more excited about watching this movie than I was. He talked for days about how he listened to the original Broadway soundtrack when he was younger, what his favorite songs were and how much he loved Javier. I, too, have enjoyed musicals in my day, though my tastes ran a little more upbeat (Grease, Rent, etc...).

Les Miserables

Imdb synopsis:
In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after he breaks parole, agrees to care for factory worker Fantine's daughter, Cosette. The fateful decision changes their lives forever.

Watching this movie was beautiful, but (dare I say it?) a little boring. The songs were beautiful, the grime and the poverty heart-aching and the scope to which the actors portrayed their characters intense. I think I had a hard time with the style of the songs. The movie tried so hard to bring a theatrical show and a movie together that I think it lost a little of both- there were so many close-ups to catch the expression of the actors (since this was done semi-live) that I felt invasive and claustrophobic. I could never get away from the characters and their grief. Also, the constant I'm-singing-but-really-talking needed to stop.

I was waiting and waiting for Russell Crowe to suck- because Mr. E was so worried about his favorite character- but I actually found him much easier to watch and listen to than Jean Valjean. Mr. E says its because Valjean's voice is too high for Jackman, but what do I know?

Overall this was a very touching movie- depressing and beautiful as all the best period pieces are, but not really my cup of tea. Personally, I'd rather watch Phantom. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E