Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Mummy


Imdb synopsis: An American serving in the French Foreign Legion on an archaeological dig at the ancient city of Hamunaptra accidentally awakens a Mummy.

This is in my top four favorite movies (the others being End of Watch, Another Earth, and Like Crazy). The only reason I didn't give this movie five stars is because I'm slightly embarrassed by how much I love this movie. 

I remember when I was first told about this movie in fifth grade. I had a rolly-backpack (right at the end of when they were cool) and I was totally convinced that I was on my way to becoming a really cool kid. This kind of came crashing down when I chose reading to volleyball, preferred to hold the ropes for jump rope and despised all of the little girls in Sunday School. I was also sorely lacking in pop culture- we didn't have cable and I wasn't allowed to watch PG13 movies until I was 13.

When little ol' me, with aspiring dreams to be an archaeologist, lover of all Mediterranean myths and avid reader, heard someone nonchalantly re-telling what The Mummy was all about, I was hooked. When I finally saw the movie it had every effect on me it was supposed to have: I sympathized with courageous Eve, I swooned over smooth-talking O'Connell and I was terrified to pieces whenever Imohtep came on screen. It was everything a movie should be.

Like a well-worn novel, pages fraying, stains and creases across the binding, I lovingly re-watch this movie every few years. Each time I relive the Indiana-like adventure and I remember that I am incredibly entertained by the cheese and the humor in this franchise, sans the fourth movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E