Saturday, June 1, 2013

Home Alone

Husband,

Ripley and I missed you today. Though I think I missed you more than she did. We laid spread-eagle on the couch hoping to entice the cool air through our curtains and into the room. No such luck, but that may have been because she and I tried to compete for Biggest and Most Content Sigh. She won.

We spent a lot of time in the kitchen, too. This is to be expected when I need to use up 25lbs of flour before we move. Still not sure if we'll have a place to put food storage, so our bulk items may have to be used up in two months time. Of course, this is my favorite kind of challenge so while I made pizza crust (you're welcome) I tried a new recipe for oatmeal bread. Six hours of rising and waiting and failing to double its size later, I've deduced I hate making bread. Hate. It. Crusts don't count.

I did all the things around the house today that we keep meaning to do but never get around to. You know, the ones that I've put on list after list in an effort to motivate myself (and you!) but it never really happens. What do they say about doing the same thing over again and expecting different results? Oh, stubborn, that's right.

When I couldn't handle Ripley's doe eyes one more minute (even after the bone she ate in 10 minutes flat) we went for a walk. You always start out, "Ripley! Do you..." and she cocks her head to the side, pupils wide, tail paused for a split second until she can't take the excitement anymore and she bounces off your shins and slides on the kitchen rug in her effort to get outside. We don't even need to finish the sentence.

Around Gilbert's house, past the house we're sure sells drugs, the newly renovated dream house I wish they didn't paint such an atrocious yellow, the sidewalk with the nocturnal cockroaches and the stoplights that are always out. It doesn't matter how fast I try to walk, her little legs are always scuttling faster, pulling me down the sidewalk, past the shops, the bars, the restaurants, the other dogs. 

I want to remember all of it before we go- before we're out of this house and this little-big town and onto becoming full-time adults, the two of us...and the dog. I want to remember doing whatever we want that makes us happy, together or apart, with or without each other. 

But just for the record, I think doing stuff with you is a million times better than doing anything without you. It's a good thing we like each other. 

Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E