Sunday, June 30, 2013

Meserine: Killer Instinct


Imdb synopsisThe story of french gangster Jacques Mesrine, before he was called Public Enemy N°1.   
       
The more French movies I watch the more I think I may have been born in the wrong country. This isn't the pretentious film student in me talking (I’m not the kind of guy who enjoys the obscure art-house experimental French cinema) I actually think they have a very good mainstream lineup of movies. They know their stuff!
            Meserine: Killer Instinct (pronounced something like mowh-reen with that nasally sound that only French people make) is part one of a two part story. The second part, Meserine: Public Enemy Number 1, is also definitely worth a watch.
            The word I would use to describe this crime/thriller is riveting. This movie grabs hold of you in its relentless grip, and doesn't let go… at all… until the second movie ends. There are parts with so much tension and suspense that I found myself squeezing my hand into a fist, even though it was my second time watching the movie.
            The story is very character driven, and Vincent Cassel (the guy who dances through the lasers in Ocean’s 12) does a bang up job in making you both hate and love him. The story itself has a lot of similarities to Bonnie and Clyde but some major differences as well. Jacques Meserine isn't quite as monogamous as Clyde, but he does rob banks and create all sorts of trouble for the police.
            If you are the kind of movie watcher who doesn't mind reading subtitles and likes crime thrillers, then you should watch this movie. Parts 1 and 2 are both available to stream, for all those Netflixers out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E