Monday, June 3, 2013

GIA

Imdb synopsis: Movie based on the life of Gia Carangi, a top fashion model from the late 1970s.

Lots of drugs, lots of sex, lots of spiraling out of control.

First of all, this movie was made by HBO.
Second of all, this movie shows a lot of Angelina...that I've already seen. Thanks, Hollywood.
Third, I learned my age when the majority of this movie was lost on me.

This isn't a particularly new story, and I've seen enough Angelina Jolie movies that it was a particularly new performance either. A lot of the same shots were repeated - photo shoots over and over again, a different dress, different make up and you're supposed to just bask in the stunning portraiture. Scene after scene of Gia doing drugs, falling apart, losing her cool and then coming back. Not a whole lot happened and it was only pretty for a little while. I come from the generation who snuck episodes of America's Next Top Model at a friend's house, so Jolie's edgy performance had nothing on Tyra.

It was interesting to see the combination of story and interview, but I didn't feel that it made the movie any stronger. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E