Thursday, March 28, 2013

End of Watch






As a film student, Mr. E is consistently asked what his favorite movies are. List the top 10. List the top 3. List the top 5. Well, he's still working on that, but I think I can safely say End of Watch is on my list.

This is the second time we've seen this movie- the first was in theatres. So the fact that we bought it, speaks volumes. 
Imdb synopsis: Shot documentary-style, this film follows the daily grind of two young police officers in LA who are partners and friends, and what happens when they meet criminal forces greater than themselves.

As a disclaimer, this movie is not for everyone. It's violent. It's graphic. It made me squirm. It's also incredibly profane- something like number 6 on the list of bad language in a movie.

But there's just something about it.

I don't know if it's the chemistry between the actors- Gyllenhaal and Pena are fabulous. Mostly unscripted, improvised lines and a very down-to-earth sense of humor. Maybe it's the way the movie is shot- like a documentary, like a video game, hand-held, jerky, odd-angles and a shaking picture. You could rationalize it and say that growing up with my dad in the Navy was incredibly similar to how the police operate behind the scenes. The sense of brotherhood, the smart uniforms, the mischief and the quick retorts born from hours with the same people in small confines. 

Whatever it is, I love it all. 

Plus, Anna Kendrick is going to go far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E