Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Cabin in the Woods

stars4_zps900bf54b photo stars4_zpscaebc208.jpg
Imdb Synopsis: Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Let's preface this by saying that I do not like horror movies. Not even a little. I don't like being scared, I don't like being grossed out, I don't like being surprised by something that could kill me. But this was a really cool movie.

You kind of have two storylines going: your quintessential "group" of friends, innocent and eager for a trip to the mountains who will CLEARLY die, and some sort of scientists/engineers pushing buttons, watching cameras, trying to play God for some yet-unknown end. 

I thought this was classic Joss Whedon, sort of Buffy-esque where the world he makes isn't so different from your own but then he slams you with the otherworldly and you realize that he has no qualms luring you in to a false sense of security. Smart writing, both tongue in cheek and satirical but takes itself less seriously than you would think. 

I was told to watch this movie because there's a...particular beastie that has no place in horror movies but totally worked. And it did. It definitely worked. But then, I also asked if this movie was gory and the answer was no. Except the answer should have been a yes, shouted from the rooftops and accompanied by fanfare because there is bucketloads of blood and guts. 

Plus Chris Hemsworth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E