Thursday, June 20, 2013

Rhythm #fiveminutefriday

Write. For five minutes straight. One-word prompt, five minutes, no editing. I'm linking up over at Lisa-Jo Baker (aka The Gypsy Mama) where we read, write and encourage.

Five Minute Friday
The drive home is always much different from the drive to LA. The drive is hot and sticky and nigh unbearable. The air conditioning doesn't work, the sun beats down, reflections off cars and signs and pavement. The roads are dirty and all of the fences have barbed wire, spray paint or trash.

We drove up to scope out our first apartment as a married couple- since the house we live in now, though rented, doesn't strictly count. It sort of fell, fortuitously into our laps and I'm already listing the ways I'll miss it. The apartment was nice enough to live in, and gosh durn if the end of summer or the beginning of fall isn't the best time to move. I'm all nesting and decorating and home-ing. But it wasn't it. You know what I mean.

The more people ask me about our impending move the better I am at lying. I'm fine. We're excited. We have places and jobs scoped out. Perhaps the more I fake my enthusiasm and control of the situation I'll finally convince myself of it too. The rounds are starting at work- You're leaving?- and the family is starting to question- When? How? Soon?- but my answers are vague at best, downright cryptic but always repeated.

Driving home is better, though. The weight in my chest lifts as we descend counties, that tightening I've learned to recognize as anxiety gently loosens it's hold. The freeway doesn't seem so dirty in the dark- instead it's all glowing lights and windy ramps and overgrown trees. The streetlights twinkle and the LA skyline in the distance pulses with activity. I smile at Mr. E and turn up the music as loud as we can handle. The bass reverberates in our bones and we lie back in our seats, content to pretend we belong here just like the Driver

I'm giving you a night call to tell you how I feel

I want to drive you through the night, down the hills

I'm gonna tell you something you don't want to hear

I'm gonna show you where it's dark, but have no fear

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E