Thursday, March 21, 2013

My Stars!



I made this fix a few weeks ago because I couldn't stand looking at the plain-jane colors against our wall anymore. Story of my life.

You'll recall I had big plans for these free frames. I loved the idea of a favorite quote spelled in stickers over a bright colored painting, but the end was just too small, too plain and too gray. It wasn't quite the pop I wanted and I wasn't crazy about the colors underneath anyways. The great thing about painting is how versatile it is. Thank goodness, too.

I decided to reverse the effect- I loved the gray, but for the spot I wanted it, the painting was already above a mostly gray photo mat, so it wasn't visual enough. I was idly searching through color schemes for our bedroom to coordinate with my new duvet cover (I am still impressed by myself with this!) when I came across some beautiful shots of space. You know the ones I'm talking about- the swirling colors, the winking stars, the breathless feeling you get when you realize how infinitesimal we really are.
design-seeds.com
Frankly, a lot of the beauty to these pictures is how imperfect the miasma is (space clouds? galaxies?). There's a lot of color and a lot swirls and nothing is symmetrical or repeatable. Kind of like a little reminder for my life. At least, that's what helps me sleep at night.

So I got a little creative with my available colors and swirled my little heart out. The back is sort of a navy/black/teal combo and I alternated stars in white, yellow and bright pink. I love the result so much, I almost didn't want to paint over it!
But paint I did. I was still partial to the original quote, but those little stickers weren't cutting it. If there's one thing I do well, it's copy. I can free-hand art and fonts with a passion. Plus, the font I wanted to use was $45. And I still can't figure out how to download a font onto my computer. So I quickly sketched out the quote and arranged it in a few ways for Mr. E to approve. I actually liked the four lined version myself, but he chose the two liner. We're so democratic. 





  VS.






The gray is actually silver fabric paint- it has a little bit of a sheen to it without being glittery. No problem with a different medium, either. Overall, I LOVE the result. This is exactly the sort of visual impact I wanted and the bright pops of pink and green are exactly the modern colors I wanted in our gray/blue bedroom. Mr. E approved.


1 comment:

  1. I love the artwork! The saying is sweet and simple. I wish I was artsier, but all I could throw on my walls is stick figures. ha!

    ReplyDelete

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E