Thursday, March 14, 2013

Green Beans

I have never liked green beans.
They're rubbery between your teeth. Like chewing Barbie legs.

And they smell funny. 

Plus they look suuuuuper unappetizing out of a can.

That whole green bean casserole deal for the holidays? I've never understood that.

A few years ago my mother told me about the "best" way to cook asparagus/ brussel sprouts (also neither vegetables I consume) is to broil them under a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper.

For some reason this simple recipe stuck with me. While I'm still too chicken to go for the other greens, I have fallen head over heels for green beans prepared this way.

Ingredients:
A handful of fresh green beans (20-40 pods)
Olive oil
Seasoning (salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste)

I usually buy enough green beans for two night's worth of meals, so I'll grab half of the green beans out of our reusable grocery bags. 

I pinch the ends off of the green beans. I assume this allows things to circulate through and around the bean pod? I tried broiling them once without pinching the ends and they were tough, stringy and didn't fry the way I had hoped. womp womp
Rinse the beans under cold water in a colander. Transfer to a baking sheet (this can be wrapped in tin foil if you like less mess) and drizzle in olive oil. This can be as much or as little as you like- you're essentially frying the green beans, but you can control how much oil you use. 
Season with salt and pepper. I usually add garlic powder also (a cunning ploy to encourage garlic intake in our home), but I've been known to use seasoning salt or even cheesy popcorn topping (at the end, mind you. This will burn if applied before frying).

This is where we get particular. At this point I shove the sheet under the broiler and let her rip until they're crispy. Not burnt, just with a slight crunch to the outside. My husband likes them a little more green but we've both been known to eat them accidently charred. This usually takes between 15-20 minutes on High.

We serve these with a variety of entrees- usually something grilled: steak, barbecque chicken, pork chops, etc. 
Mr. E's "Burger Parmesean"
I keep hoping that the more I eat these, the less crunchy I'll make them and the closer I'll be to actually adding real green beans to my diet. I have noticed that if I'm in a hurry I'll eat a green bean straight from the colander...and I don't hate it. So there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E