Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Once Upon a Time in the Midlands


Imdb Synopsis: After seeing his ex-girlfriend (Henderson) turn down a nationally televised marriage proposal, a small-time crook (Carlyle) returns to his hometown to try and win back her heart.
This movie wasn't awful, it just wasn't terribly memorable. I kept expecting something bigger, something stronger to pull everyone together. I don't think it helped that I had a hard time figuring out what everyone's name was due to thick British accents. Dek? Doug? Dick? What is this guy's NAME?

We picked up this movie because of Rumplestiltskin and figured it was worth a watch, just to see what else he could do. Little did I know that Moaning Myrtle was there too! 

I liked that it was sort of a universal situation- even though it was set in England (the Midlands) it could easily translate to urban America. Really any small space where friends and family are so closely intertwined as to render them one and the same. Right? This happens to people? Having moved so often in my life, I wouldn't quite know.

Regardless, this movie had the requisite quirks and oddities: Dek's car, everyone's weird track suits. But I was easily bored and I wanted some grand event to happen that would bring it all together; like the movie was holding it's breath ready to exhale something great but instead keeled over and died from asphyxiation.

So I guess I didn't like it much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E