Friday, April 12, 2013

Celeste and Jesse Forever


Imdb Synopsis: A divorcing couple tries to maintain their friendship while they both pursue other people.

Let's preface this by saying, this is not a movie for your grandmother. I may understand the humor and appreciate the social commentary made by this movie, but I thought it painted a pretty stark picture of Celeste's life. 

That being said, I liked this movie. I'm not sure it's an all-time favorite, and I might only recommend it to a select crowd, but I thought it was pretty eye-opening. I really liked the character of Celeste: she was smart, driven, productive both at work and eventually at home. She knew what she wanted but throughout the movie you were reminded that these kinds of people may have the worst kinds of closet skeletons. Her denial of anything wrong in her life as well as her insatiable urge to fix everything often caused her problems, but from someone suffers from similar personal demons, I found myself rooting for her anyway.

I thought the cinematography of this movie was well done- there were a lot of shots that showcased how alone and separated Celeste felt, even in the midst of other people. The draw of the movie may have been about couples, but it was truly about Celeste coming to terms being away from Jesse. In fact, Jesse was dumb. I really didn't like him- I didn't think he did anything at all and didn't deserve the rosy light they gave him. But then, I know people like that too, so maybe I didn't like him because he was so true to form. 

I enjoyed how contemporary this movie was, and I loved the soundtrack. This isn't your traditional When Harry Met Sally rom-com, but it's not as pretentious as some movies I've seen, either. 

Plus, I won this movie in a blog giveaway! Free date night! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E