Friday, December 7, 2012

Under the Tree

This Christmas I gave you my heart I did something I've always looked forward to doing.

I coordinated my wrapping paper.

Yes, I am geeky like that.

It doesn't bother me that presents are mismatched with whatever paper is on hand. I like to see all the different colors and patterns- the goofy reindeer and the mature glittery damask. It all has its place and time. 

One of our Christmases at home I remember my mom bought a huge roll of brown packing paper, rolled it out down the hallway and painted our hands blue and red (and white?) to decorate all bajillion yards. Not only was this a fun experience for us as kids, but watching the presents underneath the tree magically grow in size, decorated with our handprints was nothing short of inspiring. I can't wait to do the same with my own kids- one more way to include them in helping and learning about the winter holidays.

I did not have the time (or patience or space) this year to do that, but I've noticed similar trends popping up in magazines and on Pinterest. So I thought I'd take a crack at it.

My very own "brown paper packages tied up with string"!

The packing paper was 3.99/roll at CVS ( yards?) and is pretty thick. Next year I'll try and find something a little thinner. I was grateful I didn't break down and buy the special baking twine (100 yards or so) online, because the next day I found these at Target in the dollar section! Since I'm going basically reds, whites and silver in decorations, wrapping in green helped me differentiate between what was gifts for US and what were gifts for THEM. Plus, If I'm really on top of it this year (fingers crossed) I can save my string for next year. Just a few dollars, but it'll feel good to recycle.

Simplicity was key- I didn't want big bows or floofy ribbons, garish snowmen or cute little Santas. There are just too many choices! I'd always regret buying one roll when the next I found was even cuter. So I'm good to admire. I might feel adventurous enough to save some wrapping paper scraps to frame as Christmas decorations around the house though! (omg....epiphany!)

So I just wrapped to the best of my ability (while attempting to be frugal). I used the tape on hand (which is opaque and NOT clear) and some pieces weren't quite big enough. That's alright, we'll put them behind OTHER packages and no one will notice once they're open. :)

I wrapped some of the packages with twine: red for Mr. E and me, green for siblings, parents, nieces and nephews. 

And then the tags. I figured the wrapping was signature enough, so we don't need no stinkin' "From"'s here! And in keeping it simple stu- ah, we just did first initials. In lower case because I break all grammar rules when decorating. I used a book that I have no intention of reading and free-handed a bunch of letters in different orientations. So we have a lot of D's (handy since lower case D's and B's are just reversed) so Mr. E has some "tags" handy also!

The result? I love. Plus a close-up shot of that fabulous tree-skirt...handmade by my grandmother! All in blues and silvers, with sweet little bows. It's the perfect pop against our other decorations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E