Monday, December 10, 2012

Film Set Weekend. Take 2.

I could spend this time complaining; talking about how lonely I was this weekend, how much I didn't get done, how guilty I am for not eating very well or working out.

Instead, this weekend rocked. I set out to do a list of things around the house, but instead I planted my butt on the couch, snuggled with my dog and crafted. I decorated my presents with ribbon. I did a load of laundry. I swept the dust bunnies that threatened to eat my 8lb dog.

I watched White Christmas for the first time. I wrestled a twin mattress and boxspring into another room to make way for two armchairs. I eagerly avoided cleaning off Dan's desk.

I eyeballed our Christmas cards lying haphazardly on our coffee table, but there are a few things I share with my mom in that situation. 
1. I can procrastinate with the best of them
2. I am a professional when it comes to guilt from not doing something I know I should do.
3. I cannot wait around for my husband forever (although sometimes I want to)

I realize that Mr. E and I have an unusual relationship. I want to be with the guy all the time. Although, as a disclaimer, I'm not clingy- I encourage him to work, to go to the gym, to play video games with his friends, to go out and be with other people. 

But I also look forward to the time I get to spend with him- cooking together, walking the dog, watching movies. I cherish every minute I spend with him because I fought so hard to be here. 

So, as the honeymoon is clearly over, it becomes (frustrating) to put off doing activities that I would like to do or finish just to wait for a time when he's free. And when all he'd like to do is sit and watch a movie with me, it's hard to see the silver lining. 

It's the time-honored classic: "I want you to WANT to wash the dishes."

I cannot change my husband. And I cannot sit around and wait my whole life to do things with him. 

Sometimes you have to pull up your big girl panties and compromise.

So the Christmas cards? I'll write them, and address them (because I have the better handwriting anyways) and find some time to slip him the cards to sign so we can send them out on time. It may not be what I initially wanted, but after prioritizing (afterall, what did I really want out of this situation?) I knew how to achieve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's so easy to comment and I would love to hear from you!
Mrs. E